It’s a bit daunting to be the new chair of the NLJC Community. There are so many different facets of the role, but I’m interested in our community being a group of people who share their Judaism as a basis for friendship and creative thinking.
As it says in our Siddur: ” May we all find community and friendship, renewal of purpose and hope, a deeper understanding of our heritage and a sense of Your abiding presence.” (p485)
It’s about people contributing in a way that suits them so that our community becomes larger than the sum of its parts. In the six+ weeks since I became chair, we’ve already had people offering to give time up for our community:
- Sarah has offered to help me in getting used to my new role and that had already helped me to settle in.
- Abigail is running fortnightly Hebrew classes for children from her home.
- Ella and Joel are setting up a Hebrew Exchange to learn modern Ivrit based at the excellent Ruth’s Kitchen.
- We have purchased a book case for the Old Meeting House and Stuart and Philip will be transporting the books from (another) Ruth’s house very shortly. Thanks to Ruth for accommodating her library in her home for so many years!
- Leonie has offered to help the youngest children in cheder
And last but not least, we are so lucky to have Rabbi Leah who gives us leadership and support in equal measure. We had a wonderful young people’s service on 9th May. We plan to enjoy the summer months when members of the community will step up while Rabbi Leah is on sabbatical.
Annie Henriques 0776 417 0652 firstname.lastname@example.org
P.S. If you email Annie please do not forget to include the 1 or else another AH will receive the email and will be unhappy! SB